Welcome to Reading & Mid Berkshire CAMRA
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion. We promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
Our next social event
- Social trip to Pewsey and visit to Royal Oak Sunday 28 January 2018 12:00 Read description for location information
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Wednesday 7 March 2018 20:00 Queens Head, Reading
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This website will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / ReadingCAMRA
- Tuesday, 11:50 : CAMRA member? Are you remembering to score your beers? 🍺 Find out more ➡ readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i… pic.twitter.com/AlWiKVo5y2
- Monday, 18:00 : RT @livingreading: Passionate about #Pubs? @ReadingCAMRA needs #help updating their extensive database on pubs across #Reading!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Monday, 11:24 : Can you help? We're looking for volunteers to help update our pub information across Reading. List of pubs we need… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Sunday, 19:54 : Voting for our 2018 Cider Pub of the Year is now open! More details over at readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i… pic.twitter.com/SBrTwjMU02
- Saturday, 12:00 : RT @explorerdg: Nice round up of the bars and pubs @UniofReading over on @WhitleyPump. Turns out they're open to the public too. twitter.com/declarationbal…
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 16:12 : The Scottish Pipe Band @ Reading Beer Festival 2017 pic.twitter.com/MNc1oQwK2W
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 14:06 : Plenty of beer still available at #RBF17 so why not come and join us! pic.twitter.com/21sJrJznl9
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 11:31 : The festival opens for the last time in 2017, in 30 minutes time.
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 09:33 : Entry today is £7 on the door, children under 18 are free entry.
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 09:32 : Open today from 12pm to 8pm. 300+ beers, 100+ cider and perries, good range of foreign beers and wines still available, why not join us?
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Monday, 19:50 : All members will be able to vote on the final Revitalisation Project recommendations. Find out more about the prop… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Monday, 09:06 : CAMRA members will soon have their say on recommendations for change suggested following the Revitalisation Project… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Saturday, 11:30 : The Good Beer Guide is completely independent with listings based entirely on nomination and evaluation by CAMRA me… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Friday, 17:20 : We're logging out for the weekend - we'll pick up any questions or queries when we're back in the office on Monday!
- Friday, 12:05 : The Exeter Festival of Winter Ales starts today at Exeter City FC. Take a peer at the beer and cider list here:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Twitter / camrabooks
- Sunday 17th December, 13:30 : RT @CAMRA_Official: Today is the last day to order in time for Christmas - visit the CAMRA shop now to find the perfect gift 🎁🍺🎄 twitter.com/CAMRA_Official…
- Wednesday 13th December, 13:17 : Pssst... The Good Beer Guide 2018 is exclusively available to CAMRA members for ONLY £10 on the CAMRA shop. Why no… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Monday 27th November, 12:05 : Explore the best beer and brewing-related days out from around Britain with a copy of CAMRA’s 101 Beer Days out:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Sunday 26th November, 11:45 : The CAMRA Guide to London’s Best Beer Pubs & Bars arms you with all you need to explore the new beer capital - avai… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Saturday 25th November, 14:35 : Wild Pub Walks features 22 walks in beautiful remote or mountain landscapes, each with one or more great pubs – oft… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…